Thursday, May 14, 2009

The best part of waking up


So I'm taking a break from writing about college, post-grad life, tassels, gowns, employment and other collegiate musings. Let's talk...coffee. OK, so this borders on the college theme but hear me out.

I have broken down the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to local and national brews. Get your Splenda and soy ready...

The Mass Market
Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks....they know their beans. The great thing about DD are their flavors. Unlike McD's and the 'Bucks, DD has unsweetened flavors you can add to your joe. My personal fave? Iced coffee with toasted almond and coconut. It's like a liquefied Almond Joy. A splash of whole milk and a billion packets of sugar don't hurt either.

McDonald's has some awesome choices, if you forgo the nasty mocha-I'll-have-fries-with-that-acchino. Stick with the basics, iced or hot coffee, maybe a little syrup if you are frou frou like that. Fries not included.

Starbucks...oh, Starbucks. I love you. I hate you. I really just wish you weren't changing on me every month. I can't keep up with this joint. One day it's all "ooh try our new low fat, no sugar added, skinny latte" the next it's "try this 1000 calorie milk shake disguised as a coffee. It's a good source of protein." Like McD's you are better sticking with the basics. One trick...if you like iced lattes, save yourself $2 and ask for an iced coffee with room for milk. Doctor up your cup and you have a latte. Sort of.

The Local Faves

For all you lucky ducks in Poughkeepsie, there are a plethora of caffeinated cups. The Apple Pie Bakery at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park serves up some mighty tasty espresso, iced coffee and cappuccino. The Cubbyhole Coffee House and Babycakes Cafe on Raymond Ave, near Vassar, offer a local flair with their delicious bevs (and some yummy vegan noshes.) Where NOT to go? A recent coffee run to Casablanca Coffee and Bagels near Marist was unforgettable, and not in a good way. Their iced coffee was akin to jet fuel. Ack!

Alright, time for a mid-afternoon pick me up. Happy sipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment