
While driving to my longstanding date with the gym this morning, I came across quite a sight. Cars of all types lined both sides of the street. Mercedes, mini-vans, even beat up pick up trucks. There is only one type of early summer event that would draw such a diverse crowd. An event where people young and old nosh on catered buffets and ogle at tri-fold presentation boards plastered with baby pictures. A wedding? A baby shower? No, today not only marks the kick off of summer but the start of graduation party season.
After my high school graduation, I remember the weekend I had upwards of 10 parties to attend. My car became a party mobile, equipped with Target gift cards, MapQuest directions and disposable cameras. Graduation parties were like the icing on top of the marvelous cupcake we called high school. Cliques were somehow melded together, as we settled into our new roles as “college students.”
Aside from a handful of backyard barbecues and the occasional country club shindig (Thanks, Steve!), college graduation parties pall in comparison to our high school counterparts. What makes high school graduation something to celebrate? For most H.S. kids, college is the next logical step. There is a plan. College? Well, aside from grad school, most of us are still looking for that next step. I can only imagine what my grad party would be like. Relative X: “So Clare, what are your plans?” Me: “Well…the economy…moving to the city…no job…babysitting?” It’s not exactly reason to send out the invites.
So for now, I will live vicariously through my friends at their fabulous backyard barbeques and celebrate, I mean really celebrate, the last four years. Those high school kids don’t know what’s coming for them.

No comments:
Post a Comment