Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pomp and circumstance


Today I finished what I started. As a high school senior in the spring of 2005, I visited Marist in hopes of deciding whether or not I would attend. By May I had mailed in my deposit and that fall I declared my major. As a 18-year-old I made some pretty life-changing decisions. I transplanted myself, choose a career path and made a whole new set of friends.

Today I finished the project that essentially put a "cap" on the last 4 years of studies. Four years ago I visioned myself graduating knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my major. Well, so much for that plan.

Before starting college I had this idea that graduates had it all figured out. They came out with a diploma and philosophical ideas about the meaning of life. What are grads really thinking? They have this diploma, and a brain full of knowledge but they sure as hell do not have it all figured out.

And that, my friends, is what I call an education.

2 comments:

  1. and what are people who graduated almost a year ago really thinking? same thing. STILL don't have it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what molly has to say. Welcome to the ranks of the "unknowing". Buckle up clare...it only gets more confusing :P
    congrats on the impending diploma

    ReplyDelete